Before selecting ingredients for your formulas, we analyze your skin to understand your unique skin needs and goals. Our skin experts carefully select key actives that target your skin concerns and also help promote overall skin health.
For a better idea of the ingredients we'll use in your formulas, you can explore ingredients by skin concern here.
The skin concerns we currently work on include:
- Dark spots & uneven tone
- Fine lines & wrinkles
- Breakouts & clogged pores
- Dry skin & rough patches
- Firmness & elasticity
- Pore size & skin texture
- Oil & shine control
If you're not satisfied with the ingredients we recommend for you, contact us within 30 days for a complimentary reformulation or refund.
Yes, our custom formulations are available without added fragrance. During your skin analysis, you will have the option to select fragrance free or fragranced with essential oils.
To gain comprehensive insight into your unique skin needs, we start with a two-part skin analysis:
1. Skin profile. This includes a series of questions about your skin concerns, lifestyle and environment. Whether you live near an ocean or the mountains, rigorously exercise, or work at home in front of a computer screen, we take it all into account.
2. At-home skin test. Your skin test kit will ship directly to you, so you can easily measure your skin type, condition and barrier health from the comfort of home. It is a quick test that uses paper strips pressed onto your cheeks and forehead, and you’ll input the results into your Pure Culture account (no need to send anything back to us in the mail!).
Our strict definition of clean has resulted in banning over 2,700 specific ingredients due to safety and sustainability concerns. For context, the EU has banned about 1,300 ingredients and the US FDA has banned less than 50.
Our approach to clean beauty is 4-fold. These aren’t just checkboxes to us—they’re commitments that guide our decision making at every level of our business:
1. Safety: Your skin is directly related to your overall wellness, which means we would never risk any ingredients that are known to be harmful.
2. Sustainability: We only source ingredients and materials that are made in a sustainable way.
3. Natural ingredients: Our ingredients come from nature, and transparency in ingredients is paramount for us.
4. Ethical sources: We only use cruelty-free ingredients and materials that come from trusted partners with fair labor conditions and wages.
Our skincare products are overall safe to use with other products, but the best way to be sure is to contact our skin experts.
Please note that our skincare does not contain SPF. We recommend applying mineral sunscreen (look for zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide only) before you head outdoors, and reapplying regularly during prolonged sun exposure.